Safety is accorded the highest priority by Indian Railways and several steps are undertaken on a continual basis to prevent accidents and to enhance the safety of passengers.
Although statistically, the Indian Railways performance has been steadily improving and it has remained one of the safest modes of transport; yet a few serious accidents resulting in loss of life have affected the public perception about railway safety.
The challenge is to make the rail transport safer and secure for everyone.
In recent years there is a huge improvement happening in the field of signaling and tracking for train traffic. Even though efforts have been taken, there is still a continuing story of railway disaster frequently happening. This is one of the major problems faced by the Rail Transportation.
The current techniques employ the basics of older systems like blocking system and now partly incorporated with GPS technology.
Indian Railways has introduced Rashtriya Rail Samraksha Kosh (RRSK) in 2017-18, for replacement/renewal/upgradation of critical safety assets, with a corpus of ₹1 lakh crore for five years, having annual outlay of ₹ 20000 crore.
In light of which, the Indian Railways has already adopted the technological upgradation in safety aspects of coaches and wagons such as Train Collision Avoidance System (TCAS), an indigenously developed Automatic Train Protection (ATP) System meant to provide protection to trains against Signal Passing at Danger (SPAD), excessive speed and collisions.
But the system still has many gaps which lead to accidents on the tracks. Develop a solution to tackle this problem. The solution can be and not limited to technology, applications, system designs, implementation models, and so on. The solution should be logically and practically implementable.
- The challenge is to make the rail transport safer and secure for everyone.
- Solutions should be economically, environmentally, and socially feasible.
- Solutions shall be practically implemented in the current infrastructure or shall be implemented in the upcoming new developments. This has to be specified clearly in the solution.
- The Solution Stage should be specified (Well Documented Idea, Research Paper, Prototype, or a Product that can be implemented).
- Proposed Solution shall have sensing and warning systems that may apply, but not limited to, technological and data driven models, sensors, GPS and other communication systems, or even solutions around materials used in the rails.
Scale of the challenge
Severity of the Challenge
- 500 Learning Credits
- Opportunity to work with the Department of Railways